Saturday, July 13, 2013

Etiquettes of Sleeping

This morning when I opened my Dua book to read the morning Duas, I came to this page where it says....."Ettiquettes of Sleeping". So I read.

As I was reading it, I just realized that I haven't been doing these ‘adab tidur’ for quite a while. Let’s take one adab for an instance, to sleep with wudhu'.

What normally happen with me is I would keep my wudhu after Isya' solah, but if it breaks later on before I go to bed, I would just go to sleep without making a new wudhu, out of pure laziness I have to admit L

Now, this time when I read these etiquettes again, I feel like I want to make a fresh start and try to practise these adaab of sleeping.

I remember once we learned in a hadith that Nabi S.A.said: 

"Whenever you go to bed perform ablution like that for the prayer, lie on your right side and say: 'Allahumma aslamtu wajhi ilaika, wa fauwadtu Amri ilaika wa aljatu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, lamalja'a wa la manja mink a ill a ilaika. Amantu bikitabi kalladhi anzalta wa bi nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta'.

(O Allah! I surrender to You and entrust all my affairs to You and depend upon You for Your Blessings both with hope and fear of You. There is no fleeing from You, and there is no place of protection and safety except with You O Allah! I believe in Your Book (the Qur'an) which You have revealed and in Your Prophet (Muhammad) whom You have sent.)

Then if you die on that very night, you will die with Iman. Let the aforesaid words be your last utterance (before sleep)”
(Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 4 :: Hadith 247)

This hadith explains the need to do ablution before going to bed along with that dua. If we die the same night, we will die on Iman. What can be more lovely then to die as a faithful muslim?

Here I remind myself first and the rest of you upon observing these etiquettes before going to bed InsyaAllah J  




1.      Perform wudhu’ if you don’t have.
2.      Read Ayatul Kursi, Surah Waqiah, Surah Yasin, surah Baqarah (verse 284-286) and surah Kahfi (verse 102-110).
3.      Perform 2 rakaats of Solat Taubah.
4.      Read Tasbih Fatimah (33 Subhanallah, 33 Alhamdulillah, 34 Allahuakbar).
5.      Apply Surma.
6.      Forgive each other at least in your heart.
7.      Sleep while thinking of death and regretting for not be able to carry out Allah’s commands as they ought to be carried out. Ask for Allah’s forgiveness and guidance for yourself as well as for the entire Ummat.
8.      Sleep facing the Qiblah, with knees slightly bent, while placing the palm of the right hand under the right cheek.

9.      Sleep with the intention of waking up for Tahajjud. 

No comments: